More than a windscreen
Like many parts of your car, your windscreen is becoming ever more advanced and complex, mostly without you even knowing it.
You'll hear of lots of new technologies that are making our cars safer, like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance. These are known as Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, or ADAS. The windscreen is at the heart of these technologies, which operate via a tiny camera set into your windscreen. If your windscreen is incorrectly fitted, even by just a few millimetres, these technologies won't work properly!
So what is calibration?
If your car is fitted with ADAS technology, and you need a windscreen replacement, it's a more complex job than previously. Alongside fitting the screen securely, the fitter has to ensure the screen is correctly calibrated so that the camera has precisely the right view of the road ahead. That take skills and expertise, and the right equipment.
All Mr Windscreen outlets have expert fitters who are trained in calibrating a wide range of windscreen types.
So next time you are getting your windscreen replaced, ask whether it needs to be calibrated*. And then leave it to the experts.
Does it apply to my car?
If your car is fitted with any of these technologies, your replacement windscreen may need to be calibrated:
- Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
- Adaptive high beam
- Glare-free high beam
- Adaptive light control: swivelling curve lights
- Automatic parking
- Automotive navigation system with typically GPS and TMC for providing up-to-date traffic information.
- Automotive night vision
- Blind spot monitor
- Collision avoidance system
- Crosswind stabilization
- Driver drowsiness detection
- Driver Monitoring System
- Electric vehicle warning sounds used in hybrids and plug-in electric vehicles
- Emergency driver assistant
- Forward Collision Warning
- Intersection assistant
- Hill descent control
- Intelligent speed adaptation or intelligent speed advice (ISA)
- Lane departure warning system
- Lane change assistance
- Pedestrian protection system
- Traffic sign recognition
- Turning assistant
- Vehicular communication systems
- Wrong-way driving warning