Mr Windscreen welcomes the recent publication by Thatcham of the UK Insurance Industry Requirements (IIR) for the safe repair of ADAS-equipped vehicles. These requirements are demanded by over 30 major insurance companies.
The requirements refer to the service, repair or maintenance of ADAS sensors, parts likely to affect the functionality of ADAS sensors and vehicle geometry, and cover inspection, realignment and calibration requirements.
Where specified, inspection, realignment and calibration operations must be completed post repair to ensure that the sensors are functioning in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s technical specification.
Under the requirements, the repairer shall:
- – identify the presence of ADAS on the vehicle and ensure it is recorded.
- – make sure repair procedures identify if inspection, realignment and calibration are required and why.
- – carry out the inspection, realignment and calibration activities set out within the repair procedures.
- – be competent carrying out inspection, calibration, realignment and road tests
- – make sure the calibration results confirm that the sensors are working in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s technical specification.
- – provide auditable records and a copy to the Asset Owner / Work Provider.
Gerry Fitzgibbon, Managing Director of ADAS.ie, the calibration arm of Mr Windscreen, comments: “These long-awaited requirements are not viewed as a unwelcome burden by ADAS.ie – on the contrary, they will serve to assist us in continually ensuring best practice and in improving customer satisfaction across our business.”
Among the insurance companies requiring the IIR are Allianz, Aviva, AXA, FBD, Munich RE, RSA, Tesco and Zurich.
The IIR requirements can be downloaded here.